I’ve recently discovered Stackoverflow as a nice pass-time on the one hand and as a valuable source for answers on the other hand. Normally it takes only a few minutes to get answers for most questions. However, I managed to ask a question that nobody was able to answer yet. The question was about Collations. As I’m suspecting that Collations are a Java feature that is hardly used, I kept working on the problem myself rather then just waiting for an answer on Stackoverflow.
I’ve managed to get something working right now. It’s not completely tested but it should work quite well. What I’m doing is the following: I parse the charset files of MySQL (on an Ubuntu system, you can find them in /usr/share/mysql/charsets/) and do the collation based on those files myself rather than using Java’s built-in collations.